MTV profiles Nursing?
- 2Aug 26, '13 by Anbo3882MTV has a new "reality" show premiering in September called Nursing Nation, This is MTV's description of the show:
"Nurse Nation is a new docu-series that follows nine twenty-something travel nurses all assigned to work at a new hospital in a brand new city for 13 weeks. Some of them have been doing this for years, while others are on their first tour. Cameras will be there every step of the way as they take on the unique challenges and intense pressures of working in the medical profession as they face life or death decisions every day. But itís not Ďall work and no play.í On days off, they take advantage of all that their host city has to offer, meet new people and potential new loves while often trying to keep previous relationships and friendships alive. Itís the ultimate Ďwork-hard/play-hardí lifestyle."
Do you have concerns about MTV's possible Portrayal of nurses? Nurses have worked hard to obtain the amount of public trust that we have. Do you think this show could tarnish that reputation? Do you think it will enhance it? Do you think it will attract new people to the profession? Will people become nurses for the wrong reason? Weigh in.
- 10,084 Views
- 5Aug 26, '13 by Catch22PersonifiedI'm now sure how bad MTV is these days but if this was a TLC show we would have nurses depicted as trashy sexual deviants without a single ounce of humanity.
Who am I kidding? This is "reality" television and a show about the healthcare profession.
- 1Aug 26, '13 by bigsick_littlesickI know I'll end up watching it. It sounds like 'Real World' meets the nursing. It's going to be staged and dramatic but if it's anything like their 'True Life' series, it might be good. There's already so many people wanting to become nurses and for many different reasons, whether it be for money or because they truly want to help people. I'm sure there will be lots of partying and drunken escapades but I know nurses who like to have a good time and still come to work professional. Just depends on the person.
- 2Aug 26, '13 by sarahd333This worries me. I'm not even in nursing school yet, but the hotel I work at while doing my prereqs are majority travel nurses staying in our apartment-like suites. Some here for a few weeks, a few for over a year. They are all hardworking and respectful/respectable people and knowing MTV this will have as much drama as Teen Mom. Here's hoping they don't come to our hotel.
- 4Aug 26, '13 by RLtinkerMTV Nurse Nation - What's on TV?
There is already a thread on this.
Knowing MTV they will pick the most irresponsible early 20 something nurses they can find and maybe a few "nurse Jackie" types for variety. All the while romanticizing the travel, higher pay, the fact that many agencies pay for living arrangements and ignoring the negative aspects of being a travel nurse.