LUV; don't play the stupid game; I'm a different kinda - page 41
STOP with the LPN vs RN ****. STOP it now! I love this site; you are all nurses. I look up to you, all of you; you are all nurses. I'm taking my TEAS V on Tuesday. I have studying everyday for a month. I left software devlopment... Read More
- 1Jan 22, '13 by NF_eyenurse, BSN GuideYou know what I find interesting? (was going to make this a thread...but too lazy right now. Is it possible to be lazy and spontaneos at the same time? Spontaneously lazy? Or lazily spontaneous?) Well, here it is.
It amazes me how the mind works, especially in relationship to fear and mind over matter. If someone sees a rubber snake and thinks it is real they might freak out. But then knowing it isn't real they would probably pick up the toy snake.
Once I watched a show and Penn & Teller were competitors on the show. I think it was fear factor or something like it. Teller(?), the one who doesn't talk, did all the competing. Anyways, he gets it. He understands mind over matter. Nothing bothered him: heights, bugs, etc. In one competition they had to do something with cockroaches. He ate one without batting an eye. (eating a bug wasn't a part of the competition.) If I think about eating a bug, I would ......um.....have increased amounts of emesis, if I may get "nursey" here. But what if I was eating cornflakes and didn't know I was eating a bug? If I didn't know.....nothing happens. If you told me after the fact...emesis would happen.
One more: google "scariest bathroom" and you will see a bathroom that was built over an elevator or mine shaft. The floor is made of glass or some kind of clear material so you look down to a bottomless drop beneath you. Some people would have trouble walking on this clear floor because of fear, others would not. (I see some bathroom jokes that could be inserted here. again....more lazy than spontaneous at the moment ) Mind over matter. I find it fascinating.Last edit by NF_eyenurse on Jan 22, '13 : Reason: stoopid fone
- 1In church, I always sit in the back. I like to get out real quick because after benediction, it's like a feeding frenzy, and I can't hear well in all the chaotic loudness. So anyway, on the back bench, this young new mom sits down with this adorable baby(huge blue eyes), and starts nursing it on her breast(which I am not aware of yet).
I just happened to look over, and Wuh!!
So she says, in the middle of the service, "Your a Nurse Practitioner aren't you?" See how my (pulls baby off with end-suction sound), and...my ears feel like their on fire, and I can tell my face is like 50 shades of Red..."Is this normal?" Pointing to an obvious engorgement, and saying "they just ache, and are so painful."
I whisper the obvious problem, and what causes it so on and so forth, ..when she grabs my hand and said, "see, feel how tight..."
Then, for the first time ever, I wake-up from a nightmare sitting up really fast, panting, and heart-racing in terror as I realize it was just a nightmare!
I haven't sat on that back pew since that dream!!! I got online that night to look up the dream on a site that supposedly explains dreams deeper meaning(for $2.99), and it said this was because I was repeating my work activities in my dreams(an occurrence of repetition, and the girl represented an unmet need to nurture something, and the church meant "hiding or sanctuary." The baby meant a new beginning. I looked up the dream because I was bored and couldn't go back to sleep, and it was a VERY vivid and spontaneous dream!!! So I was both lazy(sleeping), and the dream was so out of character for my thought process. I hadn't thought of any patients, or even church that day. The way the human mind can construct dreams in total vividness amazes me!!!! I go back to sleep and continue the same dream telling her she needs to feed more regularly, get a pump...knowing its a dream now! (But obligated to help)
Have you guys Nursed in your sleep after a wild day, or answered questions in your sleep?...weird to be so tired, and explaining a medication's side effects in your sleep!!!! Reminiscent of Nursing SchoolLast edit by BostonTerrierLoverRN on Jan 22, '13
- 1Jan 22, '13 by NF_eyenurse, BSN GuideUgh, my reoccurring work dream is where I receive report and then I NEVER meet my patients or get my med passes done. (need to be done by 10:00) in my dream it is 0930....then 1100....crap! now its 1300, I really need to get in my rooms and meet my patients. This worsened when one patient in the dream just came back from cath lab....then it was.....I need to meet my patients. I hope nobody bled out. I hated that dream. And I have had it a few times.
My husband can go back to sleep and continue a dream. I don't think I ever have.
And the nursing/feeding topic. Once I was walking around at Disneyland, and a lady was walking and nursing her little one, (did I mention she was walking) in all her au naturale-ness. When people tell me (regarding nursing in public-I don't mind if a blanket is used. You know, be a little discreet about it) When people say "But it's natural" I want to say (and probably have ) "Yeah so is pooping or going pee but we don't do that in public"Last edit by NF_eyenurse on Jan 22, '13
- 1I certainly don't want to judge anyone, but yeah, some awkward moments. My in-laws would whip them feeders out anywhere. Maybe it's just delayed PTSD. (Act normal- Do Not Look- Act Nor....Oh I looked! Panic, flushing,...ok breath, be natural). Lol!!
I still have dreams I am in college at Final Grade Postings and realize I have missed a class ALL semester!!! I really did this, it was Physical Education, and we couldn't have a class below a C. I needed the class to be full time. I will never tell how I pulled that one off, but that's why I have the "I forgot" dreams constantly.
Once, My wife came in and said, "Where's Tag?" It was winter (travel RNing in Northwest Iowa) and I realized I must have forgot to let him in(rural area). I stayed out in 10 degree weather calling and calling, feeling like a monster. I get home prepared to my wife I am a murderer and a Neglectful Idiot. I was sobbing, panicked, and just in shock(could have been hypothermia). When I went in,...
"I Found'em, he was asleep in the laundry basket!"
I was too glad to see him to be mad.
- 2Oh, and on the public pooping and peeing, let me tell you. In Central America, there is NO stigma in squatting on the side of a rural road for either function. It was like "Raising Arizona" on the bus as the American Driver in Honduras announced, "Turn to the right!" "Turn to the Right!!"
One day I was walking from the Clinic to the Pharmacy down the road, and this very cute girl around my age asked me to hold her 2 hens(tons of Market traffic), "Sure!" I said.
She proceeded to take a big fat dump while I was a captive audience with her two chickens. (Mind you I am a avid hand-washer) "Thanks!" I handed her the Hens, and a wipee from my pocket, and took the bus from there-out. You got to watch your step in flip-flops down there, I tell you from experience
- 1Jan 23, '13 by Davey Do GuideQuote from BostonTerrierLoverRNJeezo Pete! I'm sorry for evading you, Boston, but I've been busy with making up Excuses!I know right? Davey(no show)Do. I limped all the way over here from the comfort of my living funeral to have some fun, and here I am, you better be da-gum glad Nursefrances saved the trip
ACT-SHOO-ALL-LEE, I only get online on the Computer at work and only for any Length of Time if when it's a Quiet Niet. We have been "filled to the Gills with Mentally Ills" (with all Due Respect to the Patients) and have some Relatively High Acuity Patients on Our Unit.
I vascillate between being the so-called "Charge" Nurse and the "Floor" Nurse and both have been busy with Admissions, Behaviors, and Direct Care.
But I'm allowed my Break Time and wish to spend a moment with you.
Okay. nursefoot-in-the-door can come too, if she wants.
Boston, please allow me to convey my Highest Admiration I can Muster to You. When I said on Your Other Post that you are My Hero, I sincerely meant it. You have Performed Acts that I can only somehow Wish to Emulate. Your Decisions and Your Sense of Humor are Models for me to follow and apply to My Own Life.
Once again: You, Sir, are My Hero.
(You don't think you could wear a cape and some red and blue spandex, for me and then stand with your hands akimbo and Boldy say some Slogan like, "NO MATTER WHERE THE FOUR WINDS BLOW, SUSHI JOE WILL GO!" could you?)
I'd appreciate it.
Davey (Sometimes Show) Do
- 0Jan 23, '13 by BostonTerrierLoverRNHahahaha, Davey (The Amazing) Do, you know my coming to the room ahead of you(and/or the elusive Sushi Joe), opened up a wonderful opportunity to poke s'more fun. Sushi Joe has become a Brand in his absence, Lol! I am far from a hero. I just ended up facing what we all will face as a mere grown sprout, ok,... maybe a "sapling" So, I just roll with the punches, and when the dirt nap comes, I feel bad about using up good ground for all the failures and mistakes I have made just this far into life, but I appreciate the "hero" nomination.
I wish I could have cured something, or saved us from an asteroid- or ended the epidemic of underwear that climb or get all discombobulated and make a pair that wears comfortably in any situation, even after hours of wear!! But, no, I haven't accomplished much of anything 'useful' (kind of like a reality show celebrity who wins an award), so I must humbly pass on the nomination of "hero" to Sushi Joe who has brought LUV and a Mutual Appreciation to LPN vs RN relations. I can't touch that with your stick. So, love me just for being able to keep the thread active for the latest greatest Joe!
- 2Jan 23, '13 by nursel56 GuideI really couldn't decide which of the new allnurses logos I like best so maybe I'll make a "Sushi Joe's Place" sign or logo. Should it be Sushi Joe's Place, or Sushi Joe's or Sushi's (no), or Joe's (no, too common).
If anyone is up for some tasteless but amusing Death Humor, I'll post a link to a funny one from Rowan Atkinson. I already posted one of his here before and I thought Ted might split a gut over it.
Boston, re: the casket on sale thing .. our local Costco has an entire display with large flip pictures like those used to sell posters or vertical blind samples. Stickers denote clearance and sale caskets. Can you imagine? "Honey, which do you like best, the sage green or the burgundy? Does this one make me look fat?? Honey!!!"
- 1Jan 23, '13 by BostonTerrierLoverRNI'm up for it, and have extremely poor taste and a love for the darker side of humor! When I blow the last gasket, I want them to play heavy organ music.(rather than the light chimes of birth).
I want someone to get tickled and blow soda through there nose at my funeral, but I will settle for an awkward moment(like Queens' "Another One Bites the Dust" plays, and the director jumps up and says, WRONG TAPE!! What happened to "Bridge Over Troubled Water?"