Ever have chest pain w/ a cold?
- 0Feb 16, '02 by Zee_RNUgh. Feel awful. Throat all scratchy. Every muscle hurts, my bones hurt. No fever. I feel like I'm going to produce a heavy cough but my chest tightens up and just a little "ahh-heh" comes out. When I lay down I have midsternal chest pain, oh, may be 3 or 4 on 0-10 scale--not too bad but enough to be noticeable and unnerving. When I stand up, the pain goes to my back--right between the shoulder blades...does not radiate. I get short of breath if I talk too much (that's a tough one!). I have never been short of breath in my life.
Why is this happening, oh fellow nurses? I'm going to be sleeping sitting up tonight. Took some advil. Thinking about taking Nyquil but sometimes that makes my heart race and I'm thinking maybe that's not wise right now. Whaddya think?
Left my stethoscope at the hospital. Can't even assess my own lungs. *sigh* *cough* *cough*
- 17,077 Views
- 0Feb 16, '02 by NurseDennieZee - I agree with Jenny P! I had pneumonia a couple of months ago, and it HURT!
But you should be somewhere where people can take care of you when you have SOB. You know it's true, and sometimes you have to believe it's happening to you and admit you're sick and let people help you!!!!
Hope you feel better soon! No fun having to work to breathe!
- 0Feb 16, '02 by night owlOh Z,
You have what I had last weekend. Do you have a fever? I still have the pain in the shoulder blades...feels like a muscle tightening. I had to sleep in the recliner because when I stretched out, all I did was cough and cough and cough! Finally I did take the Nyquil and it helped me sleep. Probably should have it checked out. Sounds like bronchitis. I'm still coughing this weekend, but no fever. Doc put me on Biaxin, phenergan w/ codeine cough syrup. (yuck!) knocked me out! Was out sick for 2 days, but I'm better this weekend. GO SEE SOMEONE SOON! Hope you're better..........Rest!
- 0Feb 17, '02 by kayceeI agree with everyone. It certainly might be bronchitis if not pneumonia. Get thee to the doctors. Along with an antibiotic you may need an inhaler to help with chest tightness. Motrin will help that pleuritic pain, but I would feel better if you had a CXR to r/o pneumonia. A cold doesn't make you SOB when you talk and orthopnic.
Take care and let us know how you're doing!!
- 0Feb 17, '02 by Zee_RNFever present today but SOB is gone. Can now cough a good hearty cough but it hurts like hell. Will see MD tomorrow. I think it must be bronchitis. After coughing, my airways burn as if I had just inhaled hot air.
Vicks, Advil, Chicken Soup, lots of tissues and my kids made me toast & tea. Pretty good care, thus far.
- 0Feb 17, '02 by Jenny PDang it, Zee! Why are you being such a typical NURSE and being CONSIDERATE enough to WAIT 'til Monday to see the doc? YOU NEED DRUGS; and if it was your husband or one of your dear children, you would have had them into the doc yesterday!
Only a fool diagnoses and treats himself!!!!!
(The reason I'm so upset with you is that I did that over Christmas and really ran into some serious problems because I did put off the clinic visit until after the holidays and am still not back to my normal resp. status. AND, we nurses are always pulling this kind of stuff!)