Ethical dilemmas.... and your experiencesRegister Today!
- by ASpe63464 Jan 10Please share the ethical dilemmas that you may have found yourself in since becoming a nurse. I am a nursing student looking for inspiration r/t those who have experienced this first hand for a research assignment. Thanks for sharing!
- 1,095 Views
- Jan 10 by roser13What types of ethical dilemmas do you imagine that nurses face?
What are your thoughts on the issue?
- Jan 10 by ASpe63464I would imagine from reading my text that there are a few that stand out over others.... such as over-sedation, pain management, conflicts of interest with family members, mandatory reporting, abortion, etc. Although I am sure that all of these at some point may come into play, I want a more descriptive and realistic topic, experienced first hand. I am not looking for an "out" by posting this. I am not that kind of student, and I will not be that type of nurse. I want experiences from the reality that I will soon be entering in relation to this topic. Thank you for responding!
- Jan 10 by NRSKarenRNCheck out our Breakroom section: Ethics / Philosophy / Religion Requires same log-in as AN site.
ANA's Ethical Issues section has cases, ethical challenges, standards and resources.
OJIN: The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing ongoing Ethics Column is a treasure trove of ethical issues and discussions.
Their latest offering is Ethics: The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: Ethical Perspectives in 21st Century Health Care
Author: Jeanne Merkle Sorrell, PhD, RN, FAAN (November 9, 2012)
I especially like
2002: Ethics: Ethics and the Brave New World of e-health
Peggy Jo Maddox RN, MSN, EdD (November 21, 2002)
Ten years latter, this is really hitting home as affecting my workload along with patient portals now being introduced in our health system.
2010's Moral Courage and Moral Distress issue:
Overview and Summary: Moral Courage Amid Moral Distress: Strategies for Action
Karen Iseminger, PhD, RN, FNP (September 30, 2010)
- Jan 10 by KelRN215I'm not going to retype all the ones I've encountered over the years, but you can read about them on these old threads: